These delightful little Parmesan Sticks make the perfect side dish to just about any meal. Soups, salads, chicken, fish – it really doesn’t matter what you pair them with, everyone loves parmesan. Actually, on second thought…they don’t go very well with oatmeal. Leave that pairing alone.
Cost: Less than $0.15 per serving
Serving Size: About 7 “sticks”
Deliciousness Factor: Very High
1/2 cup Margarine (softened)
3/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 cup Flour
1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Mix the margarine and parmesan cheese well.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix again.
4. Roll out half of the dough on a lightly floured surface until it’s about 1/8″ – 1/4″ thick. Cut the dough into 1/2″ x 3″ strips with a pizza cutter.
5. Place the sticks on a greased baking sheet (not touching) and bake them for 8 – 10 minutes until they’re just beginning to brown. Just a slight golden-brown hue, like reflection on a lake at dusk as the sun begins its descent into…anyway, you know what I mean.
6. Repeat with the second half of the dough.
By the way, the cayenne only lends a tiny bit of heat. If you’re not one to like spicy stuff, I promise this recipe won’t bother you a bit. It adds just a smidgen of warmth once you’re done munching. Nothing more.
Also, if you’d prefer to use butter instead of margarine, the cost will rise approximately $0.06 per serving.
This frugal recipe, along with 150 other delicious and inexpensive recipes, can be found in Eating Well For Only $2 A Day! You can read more about it on the “The Book” page on this blog, or follow the link provided to purchase it on our secure site.